Monday, February 10, 2014

Jelly Roll Skinny Pinny Tutorial


This weekend I finished a few Skinny Pinnys for the upcoming swap that I am with. While I did like the original tutorial here I couldn't help but notice the measurements were pretty close to a jelly roll. 
So I thought to make a few made out of left over jelly rolls from other projects. 
As you can see, they sit well along the base of my sewing machine. 
Very easy to do, Just follow along



You will need 
1 Jelly roll at least 13 inches long
1 Jelly roll at 10 inches long
Keep them all at the 2 1/2 inch width
12 inches of trim, you can use lace or ribbon or ruffles whatever you like


Cut a jelly roll for the middle section 6 1/2 inches long, so you now have two rectangles
Then cut the other jelly roll into four 2 1/2 inch squares
Cut your ribbon into 3 inch sections ( If you don't want to trim them up latter cut them to 2 1/2)


Next place your rectangles print side up and lay the squares print side down over the rectangle. 
Sew the squares to the short ends of the rectangles using 1/4 seams. 
I like to press my seams open as it reduces bulk when we move on to the next step however, the choice is yours
You now have 2 long rectangles

 Place the ribbon on top of the seam where you sewed the square and rectangle together. Then sew on both sides of the ribbon. If you used longer ribbon pieces, trim them up after you sew them on.


Now place each rectangle print sides together and sew along the edges again using a 1/4 seam. Make sure your ribbon ends are aligned as well. 
I like to start at a short end corner and sew all 4 corners and leave a small opening in the middle of the short end that you will use to turn the pinny right side out. 


I also trim my corners so that they will fill out nicer when turned right side out. 

Turn the pinny right side out though the hole you left in the middle of the short end earlier. Then poke out the corners. I use a crochet hook to do mine as it has a rounded edge and seems to work pretty well. 
Then fill with your choice of stuffing. 
You can use walnut shells, stuffing, or all natural kitty litter as well. Whatever you happened to have on had will work. I love walnut shells as it seems like you need a LOT less of it to get the desired shape and consistency  I like compared to stuffing. 
Then sew up the hole that you used to fill the pinny with.  



And ta da! It was that easy! And it makes such good use out of the half used jelly roll scraps that just seem to have multiplied in one of my bins….

Less than 20 min to complete each one, and less if you decide to make several at once! 

I hope this was pretty straight forward but if there are any questions please let me know! I'd be happy to clarify. 







No comments:

Post a Comment